New Spice Jars (again)
I don't know if y'all remember, but three (or four) years ago, I
chucked the hodge-podge mess of spice jars accumulated in the pantry, organized
my treasures and placed them all in very cool metal containers. Then I placed
adhesive flexible magnets to the bottom and hung them in glorious rows on a
sheet of metal.
The pretty tins made it easy to measure herbs and
spices, and also made an easy chore of refilling my
tubular spice rack we keep in the motorhome:
My RV spice rack - 40 spices take up very little space!
And the metal jars worked very well... until they
didn't. It is partially my fault. I should have realized
some spices just should not come in contact with the
polystyrol plastic lid, and the lids to the tins were
just so very difficult to open after a while. I had to
use a butter knife to pry-off the lids (I'm old!).
Enough times, the spice would go flying all over the
kitchen when the lid finally popped off. Annoying. It
was time for a change, but I was not willing to
give-back the pantry space previously devoted to my
nearly-SIXTY jars of spices and herbs. I wanted to use
the metal sheet already on the pantry wall, meaning any
new containers would also require magnetic bottoms.
Why can't I just keep spices in the jars they come in?
Life would be so much easier! Truth is, these days I purchase nearly all
my spices a little bit at a time, from the organic bulk-bin section at
The brain-storming began. Google. Pinterest. Etsy. Amazon. Local
hardware store. My first choice was, of course, glass. But glass jars
are heavy and would need a more powerful magnet than the self-adhesive
flat rubbery magnets I used previously on the light-weight tins. I found
4 ounce Mason jars on sale - $9 per dozen. I called a magnet company
(did you know there are companies that do nothing except make/sell
magnets - who knew?) for advice. Found cute labels on etsy and went to
What I came-up with!
And it was a LOT of work. I ordered 60 Neodymium magnets
Magnets4Less. The little discs look harmless, but let me
tell you, it took all my strength to separate each magnet - and they
arrived with little plastic spacers between each magnet! The magnets are
so dangerous - please be careful. I was advised to purchase ND045 (3/4'
x 1/8") magnets, with a pull-strength of ten pounds (meaning it takes
ten pounds of pressure to remove the magnet from a metal surface... or
something like that). At 79-cents each, the magnets were the most
expensive portion of my project. (We already had some super-dooper glue
And then another difficult part - waiting 24 hours for
the glue to really, really set!
So... you may be wondering... why are the jars spaced so
I will tell you: Suckers are so strong, if they were
placed much closer, the magnets tried to jump off the wet glue onto
another magnet! (I learned this the hard, sticky way.) I TOLD you they
were strong! If you have little kids, do not attempt this project unless
they are out of the house. (Plus, sniffing glue is not a good idea
Besides actually pouring spices from the old tins into new jars,
the easiest task was applying cute little adhesive chalkboard stickers and
writing on the lids with a white chalkboard pen (already owned). I found the
Green Ridge Designs shop on etsy.
My project is complete. Spices are organized.
Nothing has come crashing-down.
The project was a little expensive - $132 dollars ($2.20 each) - but I
have a LOT of different spices - and it really gets expensive if you
consider the 60 metal jars I purchased less than four years ago (we
recycled them). Hopefully, this will be a permanent solution. Either
way, I am so very pleased with the outcome and think the little jars are
so dang cute!
NOTE: I will be taking a few days off to observe Rosh Hashanah. Happy
Until my next update, I remain, your spicy correspondent.
Sign Up is NOT required! Anyone may comment. Sign
up only if you would like to add an avatar, or if you wish to be emailed when someone responds to your comment.
(Sign-up will take you to my safe and secure comment server, Pnyxe.)